Thursday, July 2, 2009

clarity finds itself



Before I came to Israel, I was a bit nervous especially about the people I was about to meet. If you’re in a program with a group of people you cannot connect with, it severely affects your experience. I wrote a journal entry in the airport before my flight, I assuaged my fears with the sentence, “clarity finds itself.” Where ever you go in the world, you are bound to attract to a soul similar to yours; one that will open you to new wonders of life and help you learn and grow.

I arrived in Israel a bit off balance after my long journey. I was actually buggin out before I left because my straightener broke; I was hoping that someone in my program would have one she would share. The second I walked into my room, I spotted a red straightener on the edge of my bed! It was my roommate’s; it was a sign! She wasn’t there, so I tried to get a feel for who she was by checking out the clothes that were spilling out of her suitcase. I saw a “Penn State” t-shirt. First good sign. Then a “Panama t-shirt.” Interesting twist. On her dresser a pack of Marlboro Lights sat on top of her book, Me Talk Pretty One Day.

In my towel on my way to the shower, Rebecca Amar walked into the room. This girl was the cutest, funkiest, fervent person I’ve met in a while. With her cute Panamanian accent she said something I would say. There was an instant connection, I can’t even explain it. The first sentences we exchanged could have been said between life-long friends. Usually, I’m a bit uncomfortable when I meet someone new, but Rebecca and I spent time together and simply enjoyed each other’s company from the start. I’ve never felt so comfortable around someone in complete silence after the first day I met them, until her. As time went by, our friendship blossomed ten-fold. I’ve learned so much from her; I see the world differently because of her.

When we are together, it’s unreal. “Spread the joy;” if we make one person smile, our day is complete. We are both very outgoing and love to dance on the edge of conventional limits, but I’ve never met someone who pushed the envelope as far as Rebecca does. It’s quite liberating to be with her; the way we interact with people in our everyday situations is wonderful. We open our hearts and make people smile on the bus, in the shuke, in restaurants, in waiting rooms, on the street by not playing into the roles of the passenger, the customer, the patient, or the stranger. We know that little acts will change the world. We invigorate each other. Spending the day with her cleanses my soul and makes me a happier person; one who loves and lives life to the fullest.

I love you Rebecca Amar.

No comments: